AHEAD OF THE CLASS

Discussion Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Will my workload increase if I use Standards Based Grading?

Beth Stone
Administrator

In the past year I have heard so many teachers express their very real fear that perhaps using standards based grading will cause a large leap in the amount of work that they have to do.  I know that this is a very unpopular thought because of all the work related requirements teachers already seem to be responsible for.  I thought that perhaps everyone could use just a bit of encouragement. 

Using Standards Based Grading in my classroom changed the way I teach.  I won't lie and tell you that there was an automatic decrease in my workload, because there wasn't.  I worked hard for a few weeks making lots of important decisions about which model I liked and how I was going to create a plan that would work for me.  I used the guidelines of a teacher that I truly admire and I learned so much about grading and myself during that time.  There was a good deal of work on the front end, but when that was done, I actually found that grading became easier for me.  As a writing teacher I had lots of grading to do, and when you grade writing it is a very tedious and subjective process. 

For the first time, I found that by using Standards Based Grading, I had time to truly enjoy the work that my students were producing.  Having a common rubric helped me to focus in on the important standards that my students needed to master helped me to maintain the integrity of my grading and actually freed me to enjoy the work my students were producing.  I could never go back to grading with any other method.  My students are achieving more, are more actively engaged, and they know what they are expected to produce. 

The data simply speaks for itself!

Be encouraged!  Standards Based Grading really is a missing key in the classroom.  When you add this component teaching comes alive in ways you never thought were possible before! :)

--

Beth Stone

Teacher

~We'll keep going around the mountain until the standards are met!

June 29, 2011 at 6:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Isabel A. McLaughlin

Thank you for your post! I am looking forward to trying standards based grading and I appreciate your postive thoughts on the topic!

June 30, 2011 at 10:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Beth Stone
Administrator

I am so excited that you are going to try this.  Please know that I will do anything I can to help you if you need help.  Feel free to call on me.  I don't know everything, but I will do my best to help in support you in any way that I can.  :)

--

Beth Stone

Teacher

~We'll keep going around the mountain until the standards are met!

July 1, 2011 at 5:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.